Numerous studies have shown that children with developmental delays and learning disabilities benefit from vestibular stimulation and sensory motor therapy -- providing them opportunity for better success in academic learning, relationships, daily routine, and interacting with peers.
Here is a handful of the many research citations available:
- L. Eugene Arnold, David L. Clark, Larry A. Sachs, Stephanie Jakim, Chris Smithies; Vestibular and Visual Rotational Stimulation as Treatment for Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity. Am J Occup Ther 1985;39(2):84-91. doi: 10.5014/ajot.39.2.84.
- Amel E. Abdel Karim; Amira H. Mohammed Effectiveness of sensory integration program in motor skills in children with autism, Egyptian Journal of Medical Human Genetics, ISSN: 1110-8630, Vol: 16, Issue: 4, 2015, Page: 375-380
- Grabherr, Luzia and Macauda, Gianluca and Lenggenhager, Bigna, The Moving History of Vestibular Stimulation as a Therapeutic Intervention. Multisensory Research, 28, 653-687 (2015)
- Gurvich, Caroline & Maller, Jerome & Lithgow, Brian & Haghgooie, Saman & Kulkarni, Jayashri. Vestibular insights into cognition and psychiatry. Brain research. (2013). 1537.
- Hitier, Martin & Besnard, Stephane & Smith, Paul. (2014). Vestibular pathways involved in cognition. Frontiers in integrative neuroscience. 8. 59. 10.3389/fnint.2014.00059.____________________________________To learn more, visit the
Practical Applications page on the GyroStim website
as a staring point to learn more about how
clinicians and researchers are using the GyroStim to providevestibular stimulation and sensorimotor exercise
with precision, control and repeatability.
- Magrun, W. Michael, Kenneth Ottenbacher, Susan McCue, Rosemary Keefe; Effects of Vestibular Stimulation on Spontaneous Use of Verbal Language in Developmentally Delayed Children. Am J Occup Ther 1981;35(2):101-104.
- Mukkadan Joseph Kurien, Archana Rajagopalan, Kumar Sai Sailesh, Varsha Varghese, Arati Amin, Udaya Kumar Reddy, Jinu Kochakkan Varghese, Soumya Mishra. Stress,Thyroid Hormone Secretion and Vestibular Stimulation: A Review of the Links. BEMS Reports, 2015; 1(2): 31-34
- Niklasson, M, Torsten Norlander, Irene Niklasson, Peder Rasmussen. Catching up: Children with developmental coordination disorder compared to healthy children before and after sensorimotor therapy PLOS One, October 2017.
- Niklasson, M., Rasmussen, P., Niklasson, I., & Norlander, T. (2015). Adults with sensorimotor disorders: enhanced physiological and psychological development following specific sensorimotor training. Frontiers in Psychology, 6, 480.
- Ottenbacher, Kenneth & Petersen, Paul. (1984). The Efficacy of Vestibular Stimulation as a Form of Specific Sensory Enrichment: Quantitative Review of the Literature. Clinical pediatrics. 23. 428-33.
- Sandler, Allen & Coren, Andrea. (1981). Vestibular Stimulation in Early Childhood: A Review. Journal of Early Intervention - J EARLY INTERVENTION. 3. 48-55.